Westridge Neighborhood Association Spring General Meeting: Draft Minutes
3/14/2013: The following are minutes from the Westridge Neighborhood Association’s Spring General Meeting. The minutes have not yet been officially approved by the board and are therefore currently “draft” minutes. Please review the minutes and note the elections of neighborhood board members, discussions about neighbor communication and emergency preparedness, new members of the community and upcoming plans for the spring and summer.
WESTRIDGE NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION SPRING GENERAL MEETING
Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:00 p.m. Westridge Elementary School, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm and those in attendance introduced themselves.
Roll Call: Board Members In Attendance, Dave Sengenberger, Tim Kitch, Howard Russell, Bill Bregar, Ruth Bregar, Shery Dorn.
Other Members in Attendance: 4
Dave Sengenberger read from the last board meeting minutes, 1/14/13. Howard Russell made a motion to adopt the 1/14/13 Board Meeting Minutes and Ruth Bregar seconded the motion. All in attendance were in favor.
Sherry Dorn raised the issue of lighting the sign, and we have determined that we will pursue this after the new City Council has settled in.
Neighborhood Awareness of Local Issues.
Example of a local issue: Dave Sengenberger raised the issue of LO Water from Clackamas River. At first the cost was estimated at 70M, and then it ballooned to 250M and growing. A line was to be run under the Willamette River. One neighbor attendee brought out that the city initially started this project in an effort to increase our capacity to provide water.
Another issue is the sensitive lands ordinance which affects many neighbors in Lake Oswego. One neighbor in attendance raised that the issue affects his property which prohibits him from cutting any trees. Another raised that it became a burden for younger families who are not allowed to install trampolines, etc. Dave mentioned the website of LOStewards.org, and it was unanimously agreed that we would put a link to their website on our website. Dave mentioned that if we are better informed, we can be better citizens. He also pointed out that our NA is non-partisan and non-political.
The issue was brought up of how can we communicate better in the case of a catastrophic event? One member raised identifying a meeting place in the event of a catastrophe. Another member raised the idea of identifying housebound and elderly persons in our neighborhood. Another suggested identifying in the phone book medical doctors and nurses – with their permission of course. It was offered that it would be a good idea to have the school be a meeting place, and a place where emergency supplies can be brought. We discussed contacting a school employee, such as Kelly Troike, to see if they could give access to the building in the case of a catastrophic emergency. A neighbor in attendance, Angie Baker, expressed willingness to talk to Kelly to look into the possibility of having access to the school in the event of an emergency. One member mentioned that the school has emergency supplies in the cache on the school property. It was discussed the possibility of having a relationship between the neighborhood and the school relating to an emergency plan. Perhaps the neighborhood could agree to re-supply and maintain the cache, which is thought possibly not to be well-maintained at present.
The possibility of a walkie talkie system for emergency preparedness was mentioned.
It was asked if the NA has a representative that attends the LONAC meeting. Dave Sengenberger attends. Anybody can attend. Their meetings are the 1st Saturday of the month at the Heritage House in LO. There are minutes that are taken there. We will have a link to the LONAC website on our website. This is one of the links that we determined to include during our last board meeting on 1/14/13. This and the other links will be added to the website right away.
The evacuation of the school about a year ago during the shelac vapor release incident was poorly handled. Emergency numbers were locked inside, but nobody was allowed in the building.
Bill Bregar presented the treasury report, and it was unanimously adopted in substance. Bill is going to redo the form so that it is more easily understood.
The annual picnic was discussed and scheduled for the second Saturday in July. There was a discussion about how to get more participation. It was suggested that we need to have a draw, such as croquet, or badminton – things that would appeal to the kids. It was suggested to get a huge screen (inflatable) and show a movie. A Westridge School movie night where this was done was well attended and enjoyable. The idea of having somebody dressed up in a costume was offered.
Angie Baker came to talk about PTSO’s desire for upgrading the Westridge Playground. The current one is too small and it is muddy because of drainage from the soccer fields. They are fundraising between now and April to begin construction during July. A proposal was made to fix the drainage problem in the play structure area. Sometimes they actually have to rope off the play structure area because it is too soggy and wet. The PTSO is working on trying to get the city involved. They will be selling pavers with people’s names on them ($125 normal size, $250 for larger bricks) as a fundraiser. The project is $400,000.00 which will cover new play structures, drainage, asphalt and pavers. The project will be in phases in order to accommodate available funds. Bill Bregar made a suggestion to discuss this further to determine how we as an NA might support it – this will be handled via email. Tom Coffey and Mr. Donaldson (City Managers) were recommended to discuss the issue that water off of the City’s fields is running off and making the playground all soggy and unusable for kids. The school district doesn’t have the money to do it, though they are being asked for $25,000. The PTSO can go door to door in the neighborhood and ask for donations. They don’t have to ask the WNA. We will put a link and other information on our website to promote the project. Angie will get cost information to Dave regarding the cost of a bench, and depending upon the cost, the NA may be willing to support it by buying a bench. It was discussed that Hallinan School has a great playground, and it is a valuable neighborhood asset. It was funded by a wealthy donor. The school board considers it a school district matter, and they are not funding such projects at this time. This was considered unfortunate by those in attendance. The LO stadium was funded by a wealthy donor. It was raised that the phases of the project and contingencies need to be made very clear to donors so that donors are clearly apprised where their donations are being spent so there are no disappointments. One neighbor in attendance suggested that the bricks need to be mortared in to prevent vandalism. It was determined that the WNA board will huddle in April regarding the playground issue.
Election of Board Members – Howard nominated the following board members and Bill Johnson seconded the nomination: New Board: Nancy Shatsky, Sherry Dorn, Dave Sengenberger, Bill Bregar, Ruth Bregar, Howard Russell – The voting for this board was unanimous.
Election of Officers – Howard nominated Dave Sengenberger as the Chair, and Ruth seconded the nomination. The voting was unanimous.
Ruth nominated Howard Russell as Secretary and Webmaster and Dave seconded the nomination. The voting was unanimous.
Ruth nominated Bill Bregar as Treasurer, and Sherry Dorn seconded the motion. The voting was unanimous.
Our next board meeting will be in April.
The meeting was adjourned.
Dave Sengenberger, Chair Howard Russell, Secretary